What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction?
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a comprehensive introduction to the art of mindfulness and meditation.
It’s a structured program to build self-awareness and learn a different way of being.
Mindfulness helps to calm and steady our minds. That in turn allows us to see ourselves and our ways of thinking more clearly. So, for example, it means we see where we fall into distraction or auto-pilot, and instead try taking a more focused approach. Or we begin to question our self-critical, limited thinking — like “I’m not good enough” — and go forward despite it. Or we stop struggling against what life dishes up, and find a way to hold steady though it all.
The MBSR program shows you ways to:
- be present – for yourself and others
- strengthen focus, calm, and mental flexibility
- shift self-defeating thoughts and habits
- manage difficult emotions without getting overwhelmed
- work with pain or illness, even the kind that won’t go away
- build resilience for facing personal challenges
- cultivate patience and self-compassion
- develop empathy and effective communications with others
- relax and enjoy life
Here’s a schedule of upcoming classes.
- Eight weekly in-person classes (2-1/2 hours each) and one all-day session on a weekend day
- Instruction in mindfulness meditation, yoga-based movement, and body awareness
- Group discussions to support making mindfulness a part of daily living
- Homework exercises to build awareness throughout your day
The program is intensive and challenging. Homework assignments include meditating at home for 40-50 minutes every day. It also asks you to do simple awareness exercises for at least an additional 5-10 minutes per day.
- More About Me and My Background
- What to look for in an effective mindfulness trainer
- Looking for a more personalized approach? I also offer individual Mindful Life Coaching
Considering taking the class with a partner, family member, or friend?
If you’re thinking of signing up with a spouse/partner, member of your family (e.g. parent or child), or good friend, please contact me before registering. It’s important that each of you feels able to participate as an individual — not as one of a pair or group. That’s because the course asks you to examine what challenges you. It also asks you to explore and try things that may be new and/or difficult. Would you be able to do so without feeling influenced or inhibited by the other person’s presence? In any case, I don’t rule anything out, so please contact me to discuss.
MBSR Teacher Training
This course meets the prerequisite requirement for the Teacher Training Path offered by the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical School. I do not offer teacher training beyond this prerequisite stage.
MBSR Classes Suspended
All in-person classes are suspended until Covid restrictions are lifted.
And with apologies for those who have been waiting, online classes are also not happening due to other unforeseen circumstances. I hope to resume classes later in 2021.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Sign up for my mailing list to be alerted when dates are set.
MBSR may not be for you if…
Meditation is considered safe for healthy people. However, this program may not be the best course of action for the following kinds of people:
- being so stressed or busy that it feels difficult to commit to the daily homework
- having physical or medical conditions that limit your ability to do the meditation or movement practices
- living with active substance dependence, or in recovery less than one year
- dealing with psychological issues such as PTSD, clinical depression, or other major psychiatric diagnoses
- young adults age 21 and younger — The age range in my classes is typically between 25-75 with a significant cluster at 40-55. Discussions tend to focus on issues like work, family/parenting, relationships, etc. that may not feel applicable to younger adults. For 12-18 year-olds, I recommend the Resilient Youth programs at the Benson Henry Institute at Mass General Hospital.
Exceptions are possible, so please contact me with questions.